Norwegian immigrants of Langhei and Hoff townships of Pope County met
on November 22, 1871 in a log schoolhouse near what is now the south part of
the East Zion Cemetery and voted to organize a church . They named themselves
Zion Congregation with two districts East and West. Services were held
in area farm homes until Thore Thoreson Maanum donated three acres to the West
District in 1875. A cemetery was begun and the first church in the District was
erected. Services could be held only in the summer because of lack of
In 1882, it was decided that both East and West districts should
provide themselves with a church. After making that decision, the Zion
congregation met in November 1883 and decided to become two separate
congregations with their own church officers and budgets. A bigger church was
built in 1893, with the steeple to be 100 feet from the foundation to the top
capable of seating 600 people. This church was used until 1948 when the present
day church was built. West Zion, along with its sister congregation, East Zion,
have continued for 132 years to share in the spreading of the Gospel in our
community and world.
West Zion Lutheran Church (ELCA) is located 12 miles south of Starbuck
and 5 miles west on Pope County Highway 2.
West Zion has a 4 person lift, making the entire church building
handicapped accessible. A directory has been erected in the cemetery with a map
and a complete book listing all burial records.
We are an active congregation with a Sunday School, choir, a
womens group watch for our food and craft booth at Heritage Days.
We have scheduled an Annual Home Grown Chicken Supper .
We invite you to join us on Sunday mornings for worship (see schedule