On February 3, 1911, a committee was formed to solicit funds from the
Catholics and all businessmen of Brooten for the erection of a catholic church.
Certain parishioners borrowed money in order to build.
. That same year, under the supervision of Father Dvorak the first
church was built. His name is engraved on the Church Bell, which is still used
by the parish today.
On May 11, 1911, the parish was incorporated and St. Donatus was first
used as the parish name. St. Donatus was a Roman soldier martyred for his faith
in the early centuries of his church, Catholics pray for intercession for
protection from storms and lightening.
Time and weather had left their marks on the frame-built church of
1911. Under the direction of Father Maurice Landwehr the building of the
present church at a cost of $50,000, was undertaken in 1966. It was constructed
chiefly of Rockville & Diamond Pink split-faced granite and remains one of
the more attractive buildings in the village.
In 1919 a home was purchased for $4,300 two blocks away from the
church to serve as a rectory. At a later date a new rectory was built for
$22,000. Currently, there are about 271 parishioners
No Author Given