History of Lowry Gospel Hall
A gospel tract mistakenly put in a minister's
oat box was instrumental in the early history of the Plymouth Brethern in
It all began when a druggist from Howard Lake, MN, Mr. Long, came to
Glenwood to sell some medicine he had patented. He stopped at the livery stable
owned and operated by Alex McLaughlin, who had previously lived in Howard Lake,
MN. Mr. Long had some gospel tracts that he was going to put in Mr.
McLaughlin's oat box, but by mistake he placed them in the sack of a
Presbyterian minister, Willie Scott. The tract changed Scott's way of thinking
and Mr. Scott and a group of Scotch and Canadian immigrants in the Lowry area
formed the Plymouth Brethren Assembly.
Early meetings were held in a church building they had erected north
of the Soo Line Depot on the west side of the Tom Humes Slough about 1887-1888.
Member of the Lowry Gospel Hall, William Blair who operated one of the
elevators in Lowry decided to go back to their farm in Leven township. With the
cooperation of other Brethern started a small assembly in Reno township by
building a new meeting place, a log cabin, situated on the cemetery grounds 2
miles east of Lowry. This building was later destroyed by a tornado. This led
to the present building in the town of Lowry, In 1900. Hugh and Lizzie Bryce
sold the Evangelical church of Lowry to Job Andrews, Kenneth McKenzie, &
William McIver. It was later named the Lowry Gospel Hall.
In later years, annual Bible conferences were held each year in June.
The purpose of the conferences was to further the work of the Lord by prayer,
Bible study and preaching of the gospel. They were held at the town hall in
Lowry with many people from other assemblies in the U.S. and