In the Spring of 1870, the first Norwegian settlers came to reside on
the prairie North of Lake Emily, which came to be known as "Greenland". In
March of 1872, Rev. P. S. Reque held worship services of the settlers at the
home of Lars Sylvester. The Constitution for "The Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel
Congregation" was approved on October 4, 1872.
In 1874, Rev. M. Koefod began to serve as pastor of Immanuel - a part
of a parish which also included Indherred, Nora and Scandia.
In the Spring of 1880, Work began on Immanuel's first church building.
Soon the congregation outgrew this building and a second church building was
completed in 1896.
In December of 1892, Rev. Nels Forde was called as pastor. He was
succeeded by his son, Rev. G. O. Forde shortly before Rev. Nels Forde's death
The second church building was struck by lightning on July 13, 1918
and burned to the ground within an hour. Work began on a new building that same
year and is the present edifice we are worshipping in today.
Pastor G. O. Forde served the congregation faithfully for 44 years,
retiring in August 1961. Rev. O. A. Olson served as interim pastor and was
assistant for two years to Rev. James Sumption, who was installed in March
1962. Pastor Jim served the congregation until he suffered a heart attack in
1972. Rev. Wayne Mensing was called to be the pastor and was installed in
In 1978, a new "Book of Worship" was prepared by the American Lutheran
Church and has been used by the congregation since that time. Immanuel
Congregation considers themselves to be people who have been called by the
mystery of an empty cross and an empty tomb. We continue to preach Christ
crucified and risen.