History of First Lutheran Church
1899- John Wedum, Anderson & J.P.Hedberg began raising funds to
build a church, as Kensington had no church at that time. Sunday School was
held in the school building in town.
1900- the first church building was completed.
1901- The Organizational Congregational meeting was held to elect
officers and the name "Swedish Evangelical Church" was chosen. two services a
month were held and Confirmation Class begun Rev.Nordtstorm, Pastor.
1904- Rev. Rudolph Vallquist called as Pastor.
1907- The Parsonage for the four point Parish (Swan lake, Hoffman,
Wennersberg and First in Kensington,) Burned and destroyed all records up till
1920- The church was wired for electricity.
1926 - The Name was changed to "First Lutheran Church of Kensington."
Also English was used for all worship services instead of Swedish.
1939- First Lutheran Combined with Norunga Church of Farwell Mn. for a
two point parish. A parsonage in Kensington was purchased.
1948- A Basement was dug and the church was moved onto the foundation
where it now stands.
1964- The Existing parsonage was built and dedicated in
1976 - June 13th the 75th anniversary celebration.
1993- Pastor Barbara Chapman came to serve First Lutheran. Elevator
installed to all three floors of church. First became a three point parish with
Norunga and St.Paul's of Lowry.
1999 - First became a one point parish, with Pastor Barbara Chapman
also providing Sunday services for Lincoln Lutheran of Hoffman Mn.
2001 - 100 years old, Centennial Celebration June 24, 2001